This is a simple home remedy for sore throats during this time of pandemic:
- Garlic, 4-5 bulbs raw
- Onions, 1 small bulb, raw
- Ginger, about 1-2 thumb sizes, raw
- Sea salt, about 1 tsp
- Raw honey, 3 tbsp
- Lime/lemons, 4-6 small limes or 1 lemon
- Water, about 1L
1) Chop finely the raw garlic, onions and ginger
2) Add water, sea salt, honey
3) Squeeze the juice of the limes/lemon
4) Stir and keep chilled in the refrigerator consume as necessary throughout the day
The raw garlic and onions are very pungent and have antimicrobial properties. Quercetin from the onions is also proven to be effective against Covid.
Raw honey is demulcent – meaning it helps coat and soothe the throat like a lozenge. It also has antiseptic properties.
Limes/lemons are high in Vitamin C which will help your white blood cells fight the infection better.
I have been fighting an excruciating sore throat that made the act of swallowing almost unbearable.
This simple home remedy seems to be working even when my lozenges prescribed didn’t.
Drinking it cold was a gamechanger especially when my throat is felt so inflamed and dry at night.
Please do not take this as medical advice. If you are feeling unwell do seek professional advice from your qualified health care practitioner.